Sun Devil student-athletes who wish to seek employment must complete the Student-Athlete Employment form (available on ARMS) and have their employment approved by the Compliance Office. The Student-Athlete Employment form requires the student-athlete and their employers to review and confirm their understanding of the rules surrounding student-athlete employment. The rules are summarized as follows:
- Compensation may not include any payment for value or utility that the student-athlete may have for the employer because of the publicity, reputation, fame, or other personal following that s/he has obtained because of athletics;
- Compensation may only be provided for work actually and already performed; and
- Compensation must be at a rate commensurate with the going rate in the locality for similar services.
Additionally, a student-athlete may receive compensation for teaching or giving lessons in his or her sport. To do this, the following conditions must be met:
- ASU facilities cannot be used;
- Lessons must consist of more than simply playing against or with the student-athlete;
- Documentation of the lessons must be on file with the Compliance Office (by completing the appropriate form available here);
- Compensation for the lessons must be paid by the lesson recipient or his/her family and not another individual or entity; and
- The student-athlete must not use his or her name, picture, or appearance to advertise the lessons.