All Sun Devil student-athletes must maintain their amateur status – as that term is defined under NCAA legislation – to be eligible to participate in collegiate athletics. Among other things, NCAA amateurism legislation places limitations or absolute prohibitions relating to the following areas:
- Entering into a contract with, receiving benefits from, or being represented by an agent;
- Receiving a salary or other compensation for participating in athletics;
- Entering contracts with a professional team;
- Receiving impermissible sources or types of funding for athletics participation;
- Participating in tryouts, practices, or competitions with a professional team;
- Accepting prize money and other performance-based payments; and
- Involvement in impermissible promotional activities.
The bottom line – before Sun Devil student-athletes participate with any team outside of ASU, sign any document relating to participation in athletics, or agree to accept payment or funding relating to athletics, they need to check with the Compliance Office to determine whether they are jeopardizing their collegiate eligibility.