Under NCAA rules, Sun Devil Athletics may not modify (e.g., cancel or reduce) the terms of a student-athlete’s financial aid award unless the student-athlete:
- Renders him- or herself ineligible for intercollegiate competition;
- Fraudulently misrepresents information on an application, letter of intent, or financial aid agreement (including actions taken by the student-athlete not to particiapte in a sport either by failing to report for practice or making token appearances);
- Voluntarily withdraws from a sport on his or her own initiative for personal reasons;
- Engages in serious misconduct warranting substantial disciplinary penalty as determined by the ASU's regular student disciplinary authority;
- Meets or violates a nonathletically related condition outlined in the financial aid agreement;
- Provides SDA and/or ASU with written notification to transfer;
- Exhausts eligibility in his or her sport;
- Obtains his or her bachelor's degree before the expiration of the aid agreement;
- Violates a documented institutional rule or policy (e.g., academics policies or standards, athletics department or team rules or policies); or
- Engages in any other activity or behavior that is listed, interpreted, or determined to be a permissible rationale under NCAA legislation for a reduction, cancellation, or nonrenewal of aid.
*A student-athlete's request to enter the NCAA transfer portal is a valid reason to modify a student-athlete's aid agreement. More information on transferring can be found here.
In addition, Pac-12 Conference and Arizona State University rules and regulations may affect potential modifications to financial aid awards. Please review the pages linked below for more information: