NCAA legislation permits ASU to provide certain types of awards to student-athletes for participation and other achievements. A summary chart from the NCAA Division I Manual listing the types of permissible awards is available here.
At ASU, awards are approved by the Compliance Office to determine whether they meet NCAA legislation, as generally outlined here:
- Normal retail value must be used when calculating an award’s value.
- Only student-athletes who are eligible to compete in an event may receive awards in connection with that event.
- Awards must be uniform, but can be by category (e.g., all seniors receive the same award).
- Student-athletes are prohibited from making any arrangement to contribute money, even voluntarily, to the cost of an award.
- Award categories may not be combined (e.g., combining $225 underclassman participation award with $375 NCAA tournament participation award to purchase a $600 award would be impermissible).